The term big curls belongs to the curling family yet it is the modernized or styled form of basic traditional curls. Big curls reoffer to the idea of lying somewhere in between the curls and the waves. These curls are quite in big than the regular curls we witness.
What are Big Curls?
This hairstyle is an evolved form of curls or you can simply note it as soft curls. This hairstyle comes with a visual of the idea of a firm and big S-shaped curls” or I shall rather say waves that have the length of 1″ to 2″. It is a kind of hairstyle, which is both curly and messy but also not too curly or too messy.
This hairstyle is neither a curly nor a straight clan belonging rather it belongs to the wavy criteria. This very hairstyle is originated from curls and is moderated into loose curls that are neither wavy nor curly rather it is just an S-shaped bigger sized curl. At a glance big curls are:
- Big and firm S-shaped loose curls
- Originated from curls and got moderated
- Lies somewhere in between waves and curls
Every hairstyle demands some definite feature to come out as the best one. While adapting big curls you must be aware of whether your hairs or facial shape are big curls friendly or not. A wrong pick can lead you to an almost fashion blunder. Whether you may go for big curls or not depends on these aspects stated below:
- As usual thick hairs appear magnificent styled with luscious big curls. However, due to the larger length of these curls, big curls add volume to hairs. Extra- thick hairs may sometimes appear to be a bit unkempt or messy.
- Fine hairs demand hairstyles that add volume to hairs so that they come out as a bit thicker. In this case, big curls are the perfect hairstyle to suit for fine hairs as it adds volume to hairs.
- Big curl is a hairstyle that demands long or extra- long hairs to hold these larger sized curls. Usually, big curls are the curls with a big length and this specific length demands long hairs.
- Big curls look gorgeous on medium length. According to me, for medium length or shoulder-length hairs, big curls are the best pick as medium length hairs carry big curls the best.
- Short hairs are not suitable for big curls. If you will style your short hair with big curls, there is a certain possibility of witnessing no effect on your looks. However, short thick hairs sometimes look good with big curls. However, short thin hairs turn out to be a disaster in big curls.
Round and oval-shaped faces are perfect for big curls. It covers your face and your extra chin gets invisible. However, the heart-shaped and the diamond-shaped faces are not as appealing as the round or oval-shaped for big curls.
Types of big curls
This soft curly hairstyle has piles of flexibilities but not all the type will come out as the soothing one. They are:
- Full Big Curls
- Lower Big Curls
- Tight Big Curls
- Beachy Big Curls
- Ombre Big Curls
- Old Hollywood Big Curls
- Loose Big Curls
- Big Bouncy Curls
Ultimate Curling Iron Guideline for Big Curls
1. Choosing the Right Curling Iron Type
Curling iron type is very important when you are up to styling your hair. For certain types of curls, you may need certain types of curling iron. There are different types of curling irons are prevailing in the market such as marcel irons, cylindrical irons, conical irons, tapered irons, bubble irons and much more. But to create big curls you will need specific curling irons for better results. Here you go with the suggested curling irons for big curls:
Tapered Curling Iron
Tapered curling irons are the most versatile type of curling iron. This curling iron is just perfect for creating big curls. While using the tapered barrel user may use the narrow part of the barrel to achieve the best look.
Conical Curling Iron
A conical curling iron works great with big curls. This type of barrel creates flawless big curls. While creating big curls users should use the narrow part of the barrels to maintain the tightness of curls.
If the above two types are not available in the market, then you can use the following types as an alternative.
Marcel Curling Iron
Marcel curling irons are the best for holding the curls in right place and to create the more versatile type of curls. Marcel curling irons can be used to create perfect big curls. It holds the curls in right place.
Note: For beginners, marcel curling irons are highly prohibited. Only experts may use a marcel curling iron.
Cylindrical Curling Iron
Besides this curling irons, you can pick cylindrical or regular curling irons for creating any type of curls. Regular cylindrical curling irons are considered as the universal curling iron that can go with every type of curls and waves. So, if you are out of stock of the recommended curling irons, you can pick any of the regular curling irons to create big curls.
2. Choosing the Right Temperature Range
All the other features can be considered as the secondary ones but the primary feature that ensures the best curling is temperature. The way a moderate temperature assures the finest curls for the longest time is the same way it protects hairs from being damaged. Curling irons with the temperature range of 250°F to 430°F are perfect for creating eye-catching Big Curls.
3. Choosing the Right Barrel Sizes
Big Curls demand relatively wide barrels. These curls are bigger and usually, they demand the largest sizes of barrels. Barrel sizes from 1″ to 2″ are just perfect for Big Curls but the ideal barrel length is 1.5″.
4. Choosing the Right Angle
Horizontal holding creates bigger curls.
You have to make up your mind about the type of big curls you want. Some basic individual requirements must be followed when you are up to buying a curling iron. I have shortlisted some brands which may meet up with these features. At first, let us go through the initial information about them and later we will survey a table and will come to a conclusion on which product is appropriate for the individual types.
|Curling Iron type||Recommended: Tapered, Conical
Alternative: Marcel, Cylindrical
|Temperature Range||Moderate: 250°F to 430°F|
|Barrel Sizes||1 - 2 inch|
|Angle for Grip||Horizontal|
Our Top Picks for Big Curls
Hot Tools 2″ Gold Plated Salon Curling Iron – for lower big curls and loose big curls
Barrel: 2-inch, cylindrical barrel
Temperature: Lower big curls need 220°F – 380°F temperature range and loose big curls need 250°F – 390°F. This curling iron reaches 410°F.
This curling iron has ensured all the mandatory features for lower and loose big curls. Again the gold plated barrels that can tolerate the highest heat without being damaged along with the temperature range (up to 410°F) has made this curling iron irreplaceable for lower and loose big curls. If you do not want to change the curling iron very often, you may choose this one, as gold coated barrels are highly durable.
Sultra The Bombshell Rod Curling Iron, the Cone – for Ombre big curls
Barrel: 1 inch, conical barrel
Temperature: up to 380°F
This curling iron is the best in the market for its professional like work efficient. Besides, it accomplishes all the necessary features that are needed for Ombre big curls. Among some significant high techno features the Innovative, Therma Tru(Tm) Ceramic Technology makes your styling process way easier and faster. Therefore, girls who are always on the go may go for this baby.
T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling Wand – for beachy big curls and full big curls
Barrel: 1.25-inch, tapered barrel
Temperature: 260°F to 410°F
Along with all the necessary features for beachy and full big curls, this supreme curling iron has the most commendable techno aspects in the market. You will never find a curling apart from this one using rocket science.
Again, the temperature range (260°F- 410°F) and tapered barrel length (1.25″) is appropriate for beachy and full big curls. Tourmaline ceramic barrel material broods 20 times extra moisture sealing ions that lock the moisture in roots and smooth hairs along with a silky volume.
HOT TOOLS 1182 Marcel Curling Iron – for tight big curls, old Hollywood big curls, and big bouncy curls
Barrel: 1.5-inch, Marcel
Temperature: up to 430°F
This extraordinary curling iron has nutrient and conditioning barrel infused with gold has added extreme hair nourishing values.
Big Curls has reached the highest epitome of fame and glam values in present times. I can feel the urge of women to adopt this hairstyle to rock their look. This very hairstyle can be worn as both in a simple manner and in a glamorous way. From your day-to-day life to a hard party, big curl is a hairstyle that will enhance your beauty to an extent. And to create the perfect big curls you need to know the A to Z of this hairstyle and required gadget as per the different categories.
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Other Styling Tools You May Love in 2021
- The BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Ultra-Thin hair straightener has a slim design that helps eliminate hand fatigue while increasing styling flexibility. Create pin-straight styles with this fast-performing flat iron.
- High heat levels provide excellent straightening results while Nano Titanium technology protects hair from damage.Heat-resistant ryton housing
- Use this Nano Titanium flat iron to smooth & straighten hair. Can also be used to create loose, beachy waves.
- Nano titanium plates
- Emits negative ions and maximum far-infrared heat for fast, gentle straightening without damaging hair
- Ion Hot rollers brough to you by Calista Tools
- Less time, Less effort/ Short Length Style set
- Body, Wave & Curl
- Every rollers is made with the technology of infrared rays, wave motion and 32 minerals baked into the plastic (not coat in top)